Bicycles are one of the best forms of transportation. They’re fun, they’re easy, and they’re inexpensive. However, they can also be dangerous when ridden on the streets. Unfortunately, people in cars are not always mindful of where cyclists are on the road.
In fact, 818 people died (around 45,000 injured) in bicycle crashes in 2015 alone.
The Most Dangerous Intersections
Lewiston, Maine hasn’t escaped this epidemic. Although the city is working toward a plan that would make the streets safer for cars, cyclists, and pedestrians, there is still much work to be done.
Here are the ten most dangerous intersections for cyclists and pedestrians in the Lewiston-Auburn area in 2015, according to the Androscoggin Transportation Resource Center:
1. Main Street @ Bates Street (5 crashes)
2. Main Street @ Sabattus Street (4 crashes)
3. Lisbon Street, @ Scribner Boulevard (3 crashes)
4. Lisbon Street @ Essex Street (3 crashes)
5. Sabattus Street @ College Street / Horton Street (3 crashes)
6. Main Street, between Newbury Street and Mechanics Row (8 crashes)
7. Center Street, between Coburn Street / Lake Auburn Avenue (6 crashes)
8. Court Street @ Minot Avenue / Union Street (5 crashes)
9. Court Street @ Turner Street / Mechanics Row (4 crashes)
10. Court Street @ Main Street (3 crashes)
Working Toward Prevention
The good news is that many accidents can be prevented.
An incredible 64% of all traffic accidents in the United States involve someone being on their cell phone.
With that knowledge, it’s important that drivers and cyclists eliminate as many distractions on the road as possible. Whether it’s putting down the phone, waiting to eat a sandwich, or not changing the radio station, people can be more aware on the road.
Lewiston is working towards creating safer roads for cyclists and pedestrians. Unfortunately, many roads were designed to maximize automobile travel. The side effect of that design focus is less safe travel ways for people who are walking or riding bicycles. Lewiston’s goal is to expand sidewalks and bike lanes to ensure that everyone has space to travel safely.
What to Do if You Experience an Accident
Get advice from an experienced attorney. Have an experienced attorney on your side as you deal with the insurance companies. Contact us today for a free consultation.